Costa Rica Wildlife Photography...from a hammock


Costa Rica Wildlife - Images by Travis Rowan

Yeah, that's right. Many of these Costa Rica photos were taken while I relaxed in a hammock.

This is how you balance a relaxing holiday with wildlife photography; go to a place so rich in flora and fauna that you can sit back and let it come to you.

A little extra reach on the lens is helpful too, so I chose a Nikon 80-400mm VR lens to "fill the frame" of the Howler monkeys and colorful birds. I really like the lens for it's size and versatility. However, the AF speed won't keep up for fast action shooting. It won't replace my 300mm 2.8 for photographing sports but the 80-400mm definitely has its place in my camera bag.

The butterfly shots were made with a Nikon 60mm 2.8 Macro lens and Nikon CLS system with an SB800 off-camera.

The masked green tree frog was shot with my Canon G11. The macro mode on the G11 is incredible. I was easily less than an inch from the frog's nose. I also attached a Nikon SB800 (manually controlled) to the G11's hotshoe with an SC-17 cable for some varied off-camera lighting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment