Tripod on a boat?

I always get a funny look when pull a tripod out on a moving boat. I understand. I mean, where can I set it up so my camera won’t move? Believe it or not, there are ways to use a tripod on a moving boat.
I was on as an event photographer for the Andaman Sea Rally in 2004 which is a sailing race from Phuket, Thailand to the Andaman Islands, India. Nearly 14 days of sailing, one of the most casual races I've ever seen. I joined the yacht Stormvogel for the return trip out of Port Blair. We were cruising along at 6 or 7 knots (read agonizingly slow) just as the sun was setting. I decided to try and do something to increase our apparent speed.

I set up the tripod on the deck forward of the wheel and held the flash low off-camera left to light the skipper and crew. I wanted to show the water rushing by with a slow shutter speed but still freeze the crew with the flash. Having the camera on a tripod (on the boat) essentially attached the camera to the boat, which means the camera moves exactly as the boat does and therefore keeps the boat focused during a long exposure.

This shot was published as a two-page spread in Yachting Monthly, Cruising World and Dockwalk. An interesting side story: nearly five years later, I ran into the captain in the photo while I was in St. Tropez, France. He actually had THE copy of the Yachting Monthly magazine with him. He told me he carried it with him everywhere. Funny.

If I remember right the shutter speed was around 1/8th of a second, which makes 6 knots look more like 20. Anything, I can do to help win the race!

Gear: Nikon N90s / Nikon 20mm lens / Nikon Sb-28 speedlight on TTL and synced with a SC-28 cord / shot on E100VS slide film.

Exposure: Approx F8 1/8th ISO 100

Here's another side story: Working on a large private yacht, you expect to see some bizarre human behavior from time to time. It just goes with the territory. As a crew member, its not your job to judge or question it.

I once had a gentleman bring a high powered telescope aboard so he could check out some stars or planets while we were anchored away from the city lights. A boat on the ocean always moves, just a little.

If you've ever looked through a proper telescope and tried to find a star through one, you'd know that the extreme magnification necessary to view the stars also magnifies the slightest vibrations and movement of the telescope itself.

The man was convinced it would work and being a professional I politely agreed. He set it up on the deck and attempted to explore the heavens and as expected (by me) he failed. I remember thinking though, "Dude, it doesn't matter how much money it cost. This will never work."

Here's another shot made with a tripod on a boat. I was cruising on a large private yacht down the pacific coast of Mexico. Flat calm and a full moon. In fact, all the light in this shot is from the moon. Check out the star trails caused by the motion of the boat and the long exposure.

Gear: Nikon D2X / Nikon 12-24mm F4 lens / Manfrotto Tripod with Ballhead / $15 million yacht!

Exposure: ISO 250 F4.5 30 seconds
As always, click any image for the large version. TR

0 comments:

Post a Comment